4/19/13

Quilt Question #1...AtoZ Letter Q

Sue, how many quilts have you made?

Just thinking about the answer to that question, gives me a headache and makes me queasy. 

First of all, I am not a Numbers Person.  That fact was evident from my First Grade Report Card...U in Arithmetic.  That 'U' followed me all the way through a college masters degree and to this very day as a Senior Citizen.  Who knew that turning 65 would involve so many questions that required cyphering!  Thank goodness medicare doesn't want to know how many quilts I've made.

What I am is a.....Quantum Mechanics Fabricator.  And, yes, I'm stretching the QM definition a bit, but the part about 'observable quantities' fits my BS in Visual Studies, and aforementioned Masters of ArtEd in Advanced Visual Studies.  (feel free to apply your own interpretation to the BS, but know that the MAEd is qualified.)  Basically, as a QM Fabricator, 'What I can SEE is what I can COUNT'...if I have to. 
I posed this Number One Quilt Question to the Armadillos this morning.  
Here are their answers...
Sudie...I lost count a long time ago. But, since I became a grandmother and great grandmother, I could come up with a number based on the quilts I've made for them. Do you have a calculator?
 
Bea...Ditto on what Sudie said, and Quadruple her total calculated number.
 
Irene...That use to be important to me...the numbers, but now the value of human effort is what counts.  We are preserving a simple unchanging act of handiwork, and that is immeasurable.

 
Okay, back to "Sue, how many quilts have you made?"
"What Irene said....times a *Quattuordecillion"! 
*Quattuordecillion...10 to the 45th power (45 zeros) above one million in the American system of numeration.
That number definately gives me a headache and makes me queasy!
See Ya tomorrow for Letter R...Number 18 of 26.

12 comments:

  1. Question #1 - Four completed...WIP...too many to count. My topic today is quilts too. Only one grandchild - we adopted him. No quilt made. What kind of grandma am I? Busy taking him to baseball practice and games. Guess I should start another one for him. Then I will have even more in WIP. Argh!

    http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great new word! Quattuordecillion, my brain just went numb. Ack ~

    Anyhoo, I gave you a mention in my "Q" post.
    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2013/04/q-is-for-quilts-to-z-writing-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of quilts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh yes the old numbers game ! I usually just say " a grunch" which is a great big bunch, or "I'm really not good with numbers" ... heh
    (())

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of quilts! I bet yoour never cold.
    Shawn at http://lookwhatiwrote2332.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize there was that much closet space in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't have a clue how many quilts or tops I have made (big difference in numbers on those). I do know that I'll get to deliver 80 quilts in a few weeks (all for Quilts of Valor). Not sure if any of those will be something I made or not. Hope I have room left in my SUV for ME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate math, but I love quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I used to be a math tutor, and I'm not sure I've ever heard of Quattuordecillion either! :)

    #atozchallenge, Kristen's blog: kristenhead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's easy for me to calculate the number of quilts I've made: 1. But how many do I WANT? Quattuordecillion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm envious of you being able to make quilts, you need a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww.. I love this! So cute! I am just learning how to sew. Maybe someday I will tackle a quilt - for now it's just curtains and skirts :)

    Congrats on finishing week 3!

    AJ Lauer
    #atozchallenge helper minion
    Twitter: @ayjaylauer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.