1/21/15

Staying Current with BackInThe Day Love of Crochet

Love of Crochet....kind of says it all doesn't it?  And what lover of crochet can resist at least taking a peak at their offers of great savings and latest patterns?  Not me...a Lover of Crochet since I first picked up a 'J' hook and enough Red Heart acrylic yarn to make a 'Groovy Poncho'.  That would have been about 1968-69.  That same 'J' hook and Red Heart yarn whipped through a number of afghans and whatever was trending in the magazines that circulated through my mailbox.

Although my Love of Crochet may have waned for a number of years, it remained my favorite yarn medium.   I thought for awhile I could be a master knitter, but socks got the better of my ability to master making two of a kind.  On top of that, the One of Kind projects always seemed to have two of a kind parts...sleeves...right and left fronts.  I have baskets of sweater backs with one sleeve and right fronts.

My best knitting projects were shawls made with jumbo sticks  and patterns that promised a Shawl In A Day.  I actually fell for that 'Sue, You Can DoIt' come on.  Three hundred sixty-five days later I would still be working on the Day Shawl and counting the dozen or so 'J' Hooked ones I had completed in the same three hundred and sixty-five days.  I fessed up to this procrastinated promise in The Sabbath Shawl post. 

So here I am returning to my Crochet Roots and the everlasting Love of Crochet.  Yep, it's an Afghan!  Do I need another blanket?  NO! 

You know this means that all the downsizing of yarn, books, bags and tools over the last year was all for naught!  Yep, I'm pretty sure I donated The Great Afghan Book to Goodwill, and I know for sure I once owned a copy of The complete Book of Knitting and Crochet.

Shoot, the Afghan book is probably THE ONE I donated.  It's okay, I only paid a dime to get it back.

The Rippling Ridges pattern?  It was FREE in Love of Crochet's 'We Miss You' subscription renewal letter that showed up in my mailbox just when I was wanting a Crochet Afghan pattern to make up my new stash of Bernat On Sale Super Saver Skeins in those Trendy Colors.  Sorry, I'm not only back to my 1960's Crochet Roots, but back to 'rambling'...again.  What's next? 
You guessed it....I went for the Love of Crochet come on...'We Want You Back'. 
I just love getting that magazine in the mail. 
Besides I gotta have 'FREE Pattern #2'.

3 comments:

  1. I attempted to learn to crochet with my grandmother - did some around age 10 but never stuck with it. My stuff was always quite full of gaps. I do still use the afghans she crocheted and it's nice to wrap myself in her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I crocheted years ago, but have been knitting more recently. I should pick up crochet again too. I don't know why I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have more patterns than I could ever use and I really don't know how to crochet that well. We're funny old things!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.