2/8/15

Organizing The 1950's for AtoZ 2015

I am organizing a box of photos taken by my parents in the 1950's.  If it weren't for Fox Film and Kodak Developers stamps on the back and border designs, dating these photos would be considerably more difficult.  Especially if all I had to go on was my childhood memory. 

They say childhood memory functions as a guide to present behavior and can predict future outcomes in adulthood.  I wonder if my mother had any idea about that bit of child psychology.  I bet not.  I mean after looking at myself in some of these photos it's no wonder I'm....pfffft...the way I am.  Good example is the picture I have tagged for the Letter B entitled "Bathing Beauty Bombs".  Needless to say I'm not the 'Beauty'.  Nope, I'm the drowned rat on the left.  The childhood memories this picture brought back are revealed in Letter 'B's story.  It is due out for all the world wide web to read on April 2, 2015 as part of the AtoZ April Challenge 2015.

I know it is only February and I have at least six more weeks before the Challenge starts, but this year, I am going to be ahead of the game with the majority, if not all, of the posts written and scheduled for publication by April 1st. 

Once I decided to use the 1950's photos, I knew I would have to do some serious 1950's lifestyle research to supplement my memories.

 Lucky for me my mother was a better clipping saver than a photo identifier.  The How did we Survive? clipping was in the same 1950's box.

 I'm sure you, too, will relate to many of the lifestyle differences and be rolling your eyes at 'How DID we Survive?'.  Here's a few to wet your whistle....

~As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.  Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a special treat.
~We drank from a garden hose and not from a bottle.  Horrors!
It's back to more organizing, scanning, and trying to regain some of my self-esteem by selecting some of the 'Cute' pictures of myself.  I'm already blossoming as I look at my beautiful Mother in her rolled up sleeves T'shirt.  You see, many people say I look like her.  
 
Click on the Pic for more information on the AtoZ April Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. any ideas about how to organize pictures is helpful. I don't think it is a task I will EVER complete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each group of photos requires a lot of detective work especially if they were before my time and out of my memory bank. I separate by date, then by event or person and finally in an envelope with ideas on how I might use...ie...story/blog/scrapbook. It is, as you say, never ending.

      Delete
  2. I am so looking forward to your posts on the challenge! I think maybe I will do the same thing. I had decided not to do the challenge but I have a lot of pictures that need to find homes and this might be a good way to get them out there. I can't wait to see the "Bathing Beauty Bombs".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you do the challenge. We will have our own Family Photo History category. I bet there are others who could do the same and like you say....find a home for family photos. It will be fun, too.

      Delete
  3. looks like an extra fun challenge. By the way, I was always the drowned rat on the left, too. My guess is you are being too modest. We shall enjoy the evolution of Sue in the '50 - the photos and the tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know there are others out there whose Family Albums have a few drowned rats, too. I'd say your guess could be a good guess, but we shall see in the in the evolution of me.

      Delete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.