3/1/18

From Fiddly Fiber to Fun & Fabulous

It took a few days to get up the courage to spin the basket of Fiddly Fiber.  I didn't want to mess it up, besides it was so pretty sitting in the basket.  In the between time, I continued to practice on several other groups of mixed fibers alternating between spinning, plying, spinning again with another mix and fancy plying...learned that on this U-Tube...so fun and quickly becoming a favorite technique.

It's a process to get the basket of Fiddly Fiber in basket one to the Finished Fiddly Fiber in basket two.  After fiddling around with other fibers...described above...I had a pile ready to 'Set' in a warm bath.  Setting keeps the twisted/plied fibers twisted and stable...it's the wool/mohair that binds everything together, and since I LOVE mixing a bunch of fibers together, I almost always ply/fix with at least one strand of mohair/wool of some sort.

After the bath the skeins are hung to dry.  Now you can see the mixed fibers more distinctly.  Only the Fiddly Basket Fiber is 100% wool/mohair.  The others are a mix of acrylic, bamboo, fun fur, metallic, mohair and ribbon. 
Fun & Fabulous!!!

3 comments:

  1. WOW, this is beautiful and I'm sure intimidating at first. A great new adventure. I purchased a serger and I had plenty of heart palpitations last week-getting the hang of it now.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. nifty project and pretty results. I'd have a fiber hair ball glob if I put my hand in the basket., Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue at CollectInTexas Gal
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal


    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit & comment. I'd love to return the visit...please leave your LINK or click on over and comment on Where Bluebonnets Grow.